Request in advance or get it from an open shelf?
Åbo Akademi University Library comprises four service units. Depending on to which service unit the item you want to borrow belongs, you need to either request it in advance in Alma or simply get it from an open shelf and borrow it through self-service. Items that belong to Donner Library are also included in Alma and need to be requested in advance.
Please note the delivery times for items you need to request in advance.
You need a library card in order to borrow, request and reserve items. Degree students at Åbo Akademi University are automatically registered as library patrons – pick up your card at any service unit and connect it to your Alma account. Exchange students, students at Novia and others need to apply for a library card.
|Service unit/library||Request or get it from an open shelf?|
|Arken library||Get it from an open shelf|
|Asa library||Get it from an open shelf|
|Axelia library||Request in advance/get it from an open shelf|
|Book Tower||Request in advance|
|Archival collections||Request in advance (use "Contact us")|
|Donner Library||Request in advance|
Request and reserve
1. The search result shows where the item is located and the number of available items. Click the item title to view more details and to make a request or reservation.
2. Click on “Login for hold and call information” to request an item that is held in closed stacks or to reserve an item that is unavailable at the moment.
3. Students and staff at ÅAU log in using their ÅAU user account (remember to connect your library card to your account). Others log in using their library card number and password.
4. Click the arrow next to the item and thereafter on “Place a Storage Retrieval Request”. The same procedure applies when you request a print journal. If you want to reserve an item that is unavailable, click “Place a Hold Request” above (not “Request this copy”).
5. If you are requesting an item in advance, simply go ahead by clicking “Place Request”. Specify volume(s), date or issue(s), year(s) when you are requesting a journal or other serial publications.
6. When you reserve an item (place a hold request) you need to choose which service unit collection you want to queue. You will receive an e-mail when a copy is available for pick-up.
|Collection||Pick-up at||Request by||Available|
|BioCity*||Book Tower||Day before||Tuesday noon (12:00)|
|Book Tower||Book Tower||Noon (12:00)||Same day (Mon-Fri) 3 p.m.|
|Remote stacks Kankas||Book Tower||Day before||Tuesday 3 p.m.|
|Remote stacks Storheikkilä||Book Tower||Day before||Thursday 3 p.m.|
|Kemi, teknik and related collections||Axelia library||Day before||Monday and Wednesday noon (12:00)||Matematik||Book Tower||Day before||Tuesday 3 p.m.||Rättsvetenskap||Book Tower||Day before||Tuesday and Thursday 4 p.m.||Theological collections||Book Tower||Day before||Tuesday and Thursday 3 p.m.|
Request a book to your campus office
Staff at Åbo Akademi University can request items from the Book Tower and the Donner Library to be delivered to their campus offices. The service excludes any items only intended for in-house use at the library. Make your request in Alma and state your campus address in the request comment box. Items are checked out prior to dispatch. Return your items by sending them back or return them in person at the library.
Request archival material
Request (more information about) items belonging to the Archival Collections by clicking on "Contact us" under "Material provided by".
More information about the archives included in Alma can be found under "About".